Sunday, September 25, 2005

Another letter of Knox's, this one penned to the Assembly of the Church at Striuling

"Because the daily decay of natural strength doth threaten me with a certain, and sudden departure from the miseries of this life, I exhort you, Brethren, yea, in the fear of God, I charge you, to take heed to your selves, and to the Flock over which God hath placed you Ministers. What your behaviour should be, I am not now, nor have I need, as I think, to express; but to charge you to be faithful, I dare not forget: And unfaithful ye shall be accounted before the Lord jesus, if with your consent, directly, or indirectly, you suffer unworthy men to be thrust into the Ministry of the Church, under what pretext sorever. Remember the Judge before whom we must give an account, and flee this, as you would esthew Hell fire. This will be an hard battel, I grant, but there is a second that will be harder, that is, to withstand the merciless devourers of the Church Patrimony. If men will spoil her, let them do it at their own peril and condemnation: but communicate not ye with their sins, of what estate or rank soever they be, neither be consent, nor silence: but by publick Protestation make known to the world, that ye are innocent of such Robbery, and that you will seek redress thereof, at the hands of God and man. God give you wisdome, strength, and Courage in so good a cause, and me an happy end." From St. Andrews, Aug. 13. 1571. AB. Spots. Hist. of the Church of Scotl. p. 257.

No comments: